As marketing professionals, we all use social media interchangeably throughout our day. It’s how we stay engaged, have conversations and create connections.
The tricky part is promoting these concepts to our B2B customers. Marketers need to try and tell a story from a strategic narrative point of view. If there is one thing I have learned, B2B social media marketing gains attention when storytelling is at the forefront.
B2B marketing on social platforms is a skill to be mastered as customers’ preferences are largely moving from in-person sales interactions to digital channels. In its Future of Sales research report, Gartner further predicts “that by 2025, 80 percent of B2B sales interactions between suppliers and buyers will occur via digital channels.”
B2B social media marketing is only becoming more essential to brands, so let’s take a look at some quotes by industry experts that will always be relevant when thinking about how to post:
- “Your writing doesn’t have to be boring just because it’s for other businesses. Businesses have people who read stuff.” — Valeria Maltoni
- “Even with B2B, the recipient is still a person, so we have to humanize our brand.” — Ryan Quinn
- “B2B companies may not necessarily create the next iPod or TiVo, but with the right amount of focus and dedication, they can still create word of mouth that gives them an edge over competitors.” —Jackie Huba
- “Tell a story. And more importantly, relate that story back to your ideal prospect’s problems or desires. Even if the story focuses on the founding, evolution, or growth of your company, make sure people understand that all of those great things happened because of the value you provide your audience, customers, and clients.” — Brian Clark
- “You are competing with every piece of content ever made for every person’s attention. You need to be entertaining. Don’t outsmart. Out entertain.” — Dolf van den Brink
- “I worry that B2B marketing is becoming a glorified arm of the sales team…too focused on the short-term outcomes…obsessed with statistics the finance people can understand. That’s not where the value is” — Edd Southerden
- “Content Marketing is no longer a numbers game. It’s a game of relevance.” — Jason Miller
- “Perhaps one of the more understated benefits of social media in B2B is the ability to establish and foster expertise within a given industry or niche.” — Brian Solis
- “Engagement versus pageviews is a new way of thinking about marketing, one that requires a complete mind shift. But I really believe that if you want to bring value to your clients or your company, it’s a shift you have to make – like now.” — Dianna Huff
- “It’s fascinating how the fundamentals of B2B marketing are the same today as they were 50 years ago. It’s still about relationships although today we have new tools and techniques at our disposal.” — David Meerman Scott
It can be challenging to align your brand on social media in a professional light, especially with a changing media landscape. As brands continue to evolve and create a tone of voice that aligns with their values, the posts will be more engaging.
Through these quotes, we can assume the best B2B social strategy is formed when goals align with business objectives, social identities are recognized, and new angles are taken to reach the desired target audience. But, don’t forget to have fun with it. Resist the temptation to add boring professional jargon and humanize your brand with an entertaining story.