It’s no surprise that traditional (non-digital) marketing is on the decline. This is due to the rise of social media and digital communication. Overall, marketers continue to reduce their traditional advertising budgets, “while growth in expenses on digital marketing remained positive…In February 2022, CMOs in the U.S said their digital spending grew by 16.2 percent.” Content marketing, however, is gaining steam as the world modernizes and adapts to the digital world.
To better understand this type of marketing, The Content Marketing Institute, defines the term as: “a marketing technique of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action.”
From articles to social media and news announcements, content creates awareness, trust, and consideration between a consumer and a brand. As customers or prospects begin to engage more with content that is shared by a brand, they build trust and loyalty with the company. Many aspects go into content marketing, especially since digital marketers are still learning and adapting to how people interact with content online.
Let’s take a look at some quotes by industry experts to help form your perspective on how to better tap into content marketing:
- “Content Marketing provides 4x the ROI of our traditional marketing spend.” ~Julie Fleischer
- “The buyer journey is nothing more than a series of questions that must be answered.” ~Michael Brenner
- “Content is fire. Social media is gasoline.” ~Jay Baer
- “Great content is the best sales tool in the world.” ~Marcus Sheridan
- “You need to create ridiculously good content – content that is useful, enjoyable, and inspired.” ~Ann Handley
- “The best marketing doesn’t feel like marketing.” ~Tom Fishburne
- “Content builds relationships. Relationships are built on trust. Trust drives revenue.” ~Andrew Davis
- “These days, people want to learn before they buy, be educated instead of pitched.” ~Brian Clark
- “Traditional marketing talks at people. Content marketing talks with them.” ~Doug Kessler
- “The key ingredient to better content is separating the single from the stream.”
- “Content marketing is no longer a numbers game. It’s a game of relevance,” ~Jason Miller
- “In a sea of mediocre content, a brave tone can be a big differentiator.” ~Ann Handley
- “Traditional marketing and advertising are telling the world you’re a rock star. Content Marketing is showing the world that you are one.” ~Robert Rose
- “You don’t have to reinvent the wheel; you just need to share your unique perspective on why the wheel is important.” ~Page One Power
- “Our job is not to create content. Our job is to change the world of the people who consume it.” ~Andrea Fryrear
As brands continue to evolve, content marketing will only become more essential to brand engagement. It’s important to distinguish the difference between traditional and digital marketing to understand where this landscape is progressing.
Through these quotes, we can assume the best content marketing is achieved successfully by incorporating entertaining messages, answering questions, and creating relationships with customers. Storytelling makes your brand unique, so utilize content to help tell your story.